Tuesday, February 19, 2008

NATURAL HEALTH PRACTITIONERS IN NIGERIA (V)


*DR. GODWIN IHESIE: “I am a medical laboratory scientist. And after practicing for 10 years, I saw a need for me to go into natural medicine. Mrs. Kafaru (late) as popular in the field and I approached her. He directed me to the late Pa Ebenezer Osidein, of the then Gbodiyan Health Care Centre in Surulere lagos. He was a renowned naturopath. When I met him, he showed interest in me. I had opportunities of traveling and that was how I kept on reading things on natural medicine and all that.

After two years, I came back to Mrs.Kafaru, she registered me with the Lagos State Traditional Medicine Board and she invited me to her clinic based on the fact that her work was becoming too much for her; that was in 1994.

After understudying her and the way she treats people, with my two years of study and exposure, she took me on and from then till she passed on, it was all nice.
OUTFIT: OGS Plaza (2nd Floor),
Ajuwon Bus Stop
Ajuwon, Iju
Lagos.
Telephone: 08033065263
CULLED FROM THE COMET, JUNE 5, 2003

*MRS. TOYIN OLUJINMI who is in her early forties missed her menstrual flow for three months and she was frantic. She promptly sought out her gynaecologist,who after series of tests informed her there was nothing wrong with her. Neither was she pregnant. “It really bothered me for a while for the doctor had concluded that it could be as a result of stress whereas I knew within myself I was not stressed in any way.

She then decided to go herbal and discussed with one of her friends who trades in herbal products from Ghana. “Though I don’t believe in all these claims and use of plants, herbs and the rest, but because I needed a solution, I was prepared to use them. I decided to try it and my friend gave me Great Swedish Bitters along with what I call Female Corrective Formula. Believe me, less than two weeks after, when I wasyet to exhaust the one and a half bottles, my menses resumed. I was so happy, actually ecstatic. Immediately, that changed my perception and belief of the potency of herbs.”

Later I sat down and reflected on the number of women out there with such problems and asked myself: Why can’t I help them? So I re-established contact with my friend who took me to Ghana, and enlightened me about herbs and gradually, I started by bringing some intothe country and because they do work, of which my clients testified, that encouraged me and with the backing of my husband, I established a herbal shop named “The Grace Health Medicine,” for it was God’s grace that helped restore my menses.
OUTFIT: Grace Health,
1A Capitol Road, Opposite National Filling Station,
Mangoro, Agege,
Lagos.
Telephone: 01-4926346
CULLED FROM THE COMET, MAY 2 2002

*ARISTERKING LEBE KALU: Chief Joseph Lambo must be proud in his grave now: One of his students has since carried on the torch from where his departed mentor left it.

Aristerking Lebe Kalu belongs to the Lambo school of thought and even earned a certificate of proficiency from the Medical Herbalist Headquarters situated at 41, Joseph Lambo Street, Oyingbo, Lagos,which was controlled by Lambo when he was alive.

Armed with that certificate, Aristerking opened shop at 12, Ovba Street, First Floor, Off Solomon Street, Solomon Bus Stop, Oriola, Alapere, Ketu, Lagos and began to consult.

To Aristerking, service more than money is paramount. “I am not after money but to prove a point, that herbs are good and in fact the best for cures throughout the world. I send my patients to laboratories for two reasons: so that I do not treat them blindly and two, to know what is actually wrong with them (for diagnosis) as orthodox medicine is good in that area.

I don’t hide my herbs from people and there is no spiritualism in my treatment. Whoever I treat, I make everything plain to the patient. For example I have branded preparations such as Aristerking Blood Purifier, Diabetic Solution, Fertility Booster – a herbal preparation. Its composition includes wild strawberry, camellia simensis, ginseng, potash and tobacco.

CULLED FROM THE COMET, MAY 16 2002

No comments: